Friday, August 05, 2005

Travel Soup for the Soul

I can see the nervous twitch in the old man sitting across from me. It was sort of like a pulsing vain, that made its way from the top of his forehead to the edge of his left brow. He was not going to like my next move, and I knew from his vein the second I laid the piece on the square.

I like when people ask me for directions in the street. I usually point in a direction and say "Aya!" (Over there!). I also sometimes pretend that I speak Spanish to the lost American tourists who only speak English.

My new elevator has a pretty big bounce as it hits the ground floor. It's nothing to be worried about, but it is always a bit jolting. I think I will start taking the stairs.

-- Chess News (Be careful, it's a dangerous world below) --

Last chess tournament I was placed in Division 4, the lowest division. Today started a new month long tournament at the club, and I was placed in Division 2. I had quite a few people congratulate me, as this seems to be quite significant at the club.

There is an internationally famous tournament called the American Continental Championship being held in Buenos Aires August 5 - August 16th featuring 40 Grandmasters and dozens of International Masters (my chess coach being one of them). Since it's open to the public, I'm sure I will spend a lot of time watching their games.

3 Comments:

At 6:21 PM, Blogger dorimom said...

Josh,
You really made me laugh. Keep it coming. I'm so happy that you are doing what most of us only dream of doing. Love, Mom

 
At 11:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Josh,
Your parents are with us for the week-end. We just read your posts, keep having fun and letting us know what you are doing. Take lots of pix at Izu(?) Falls. I hear it is gorgeous.
Love Grandy

 
At 11:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Josh...
You need to write "World Traveling with Josh". There is no doubt that you are great with words in addition to your other atributes.
The little details of your daily experiences in each country is something that could be invaluable to those that would either like to personally experience these places ot for those people that cannot afford to travel like you but would like to feel that they have been there through your eyes.

Long sentence but I think you understand what I mean.

It would be a shame not to share these wonderful (and not so wonderful) experiences with the world.

I am so happy for you.

Love...
Papa Paul

 

Post a Comment

<< Home