Tuesday, August 02, 2005

New Apartment Eats Kids for Breakfast

The original plan was to rent an apartment for a few weeks in Buenos Aires at a higher price because the room was reserved from the internet, then get down here and in three weeks find another place to live at a cheaper rate.

Well, the three weeks were up and I moved yesterday to my new apartment. Unfortunately, this one is, well.. just not as nice. Also, the high speed internet connection is heartbreakingly slow. I'm ordering a new high speed internet service tomorrow.

I've been busy with work lately. Life is about finding some sort of disappearing thread of balance - and work sure does ground me down while I'm here. But not too much... I'm still enjoying every day.

Today, I went shopping to fill my massively large fridgerator - one of the two good things about this apartment (the other happens to be the shower pressure). Although I've never really enjoyed shopping, there's something about shopping at a foreign supermarket that is somewhat intriguing. I grabbed things such as the Quilmes Boch - A National beer (970cm^3 if you are curious - not sure what that is in ounces) and uncooked prepared shish kabob’s. I hesitated on the milk, only because it seemed to come in a plastic type bag.

I'm beginning to feel more comfortable with acting as if I'm from here. Very important upon entering a taxi. The driver wants to sum you up, giving you that look like 'Is he from here, and if not, how much can I take him for?' So I stick my chest out and roll my r's and say, "Sanchez de Bustemante y Corrientes!"

Did I mention that my bed gets folded up against the wall to turn into some sort of wooden thing that stands up with a hidden bed inside? I guess that's good for parties.

The Gaucho I told you about in my last post said something very wise to me. He said, "Goshe, the women here are like beef. On the tv, beef. In the street beef. We have a lot of beef. But, the beef does not want to be eaten. The beef is to look and not eat." I guess, the Gaucho may have a point.

Oh, did I mention I have a sandwich maker.

Ok, till my next post..

1 Comments:

At 1:49 PM, Blogger Lindsay said...

Hey, it seems you are adapting pretty well. It is important to look confident when you enter a taxi, because some may want to charge you more than what it actually should be. All of the Buenos Aires apartments I was in were great. I didnpt have the problem of the internet connection, and my fridge was also huge. You are right, there is something about going to a foreign supermarket that makes it more fun.
Anyways, hope you have a great time!
Lindsay

 

Post a Comment

<< Home